Phoenix

Give exp & drop rate buffs to maps that haven't been visited for a long time.

PolarBear

There are so many maps in Maplestory, but only a couple of them are being used for hunting. It is repetitive and boring to stay in one map and hunt for hours. Meanwhile, all the other maps are there with nobody in it. 

To encourage exploration and more viable hunting grounds, please give exp & drop rate buffs to maps that were not visited by any players for a long time. For example, if a map didn't have any players visit for 30 minutes, give the first player to enter that map a x1.05 exp for staying in that map. If a map hasn't been visited for even longer like an hour or 2 hours, give x1.1 exp, x1.15 exp and so on.  (I am not sure if this amount of exp is balanced. I am just giving an example). The player would receive a buff icon on top right and maybe a message in the chat to notify the player. 

Also, if the map was entered by a party, all the party members will share the exp buff.

I believe this change will: 

• Discourage using one map as a hunting ground for a long time
  • Encourage players to play around with different map structures
  • Encourage players to explore the world and be more active
  • Reduce camping, KS'ing (only the first person or a party entering the unexplored map will have the exp buff, so next people entering the map will be inclined to move on to find other maps)
  • Discourage repeating party quests (Also to prevent the party quests from dying, the exp buff should be carefully balanced)
  • Increase population of the server: I think that new players tend to explore more maps. Instead of finding almost no one in victoria hunting grounds, the server will look more lively to them if they find people on their way. If the new players still find no one, they will at least have the exp boost to have more progression instead of getting bored.
  • Give ironman players more choice of hunting grounds.
  • Make the server more fun

Possible complaints:

"This isn't nostalgic! I know a very similar system exists in current maplestory called a 'burning field'. "

Answer:  In my opinion, exploring maps give plenty of nostalgia. When we were new to maplestory, I think that we tended to explore the maps and not stay in one place all the time.

"Thief and mage players will have an unfair advantage because they are much more mobile." 

Answer: Warriors and archers can get haste from parties and they could also use speed pills. Also, mobility is part of the game. (I am not biased. I'm an archer player).

"This will make high level players feel less rewarded because they've already struggled so much to get there."

Answer: The exp buff should be balanced enough to match the exp rate from hunting in one good map like FoG to an extremely unpopular map with slight exp buff. This change is not supposed to be an 'exp boost'.

"This change seems too big and I can't cope with it." 

Answer: We can always nerf the exp buff to make the change less overwhelming.

Edited by PolarBear

• 5 months later...