Phoenix

Improvements to Holy Arrow

twerp

Cleric is one of those weird classes that has to piggyback on other classes. It was never really meant to be an attacker, but this playstyle never fit well within maple because levels don't come easy. The idea is to make Cleric a more viable class that can train. Instead of completely changing holy arrow's function, what if Holy arrow was swapped with a third job skill like dispel and given damage comparable to Magic Composition of Ice/lightning Fire/Poison? Clerics don't add SP into Holy Arrow. Typically, most Clerics won't get Holy Arrow until way later on. So Dispel would add a good diversity within second job support for the PQ levels. Bless? Dispel? Invincible? hmmm. But Holy arrow would become a better single DPS skill, but not better than Magic Comp because Mages have elemental amplification and magic booster. Priest isn't a damage dealer, but it should be given a single DPS buff.

Or even swap Holy Symbol with Holy Arrow. This wouldn’t break the game at all. Why? Because PQing is still the meta in second job. Grinding through second job is not viable at all. But when Cleric hits priest, it effectively can’t level up at all because nobody wants a low level priest with low level HS. But if priest already had maxed HS at level 70, it could focus on getting damage skills like Shining Ray and a buffed version of Holy arrow, while piggybacking on others with an already maxed HS. People are going to PQ regardless, and HS doesn’t effect reward EXP from MCPQ or LPQ. So there literally wouldn’t be any point in raising it until after bless and heal. And even if they did max HS first and party up with people at level 40, how would this hurt the server in any way? “Oh no, people are partied up at master Chronos instead of being partied up at LPQ”. Warriors still face the accuracy issue early game and other jobs can’t effectively mob until mid 40’s anyways.

Edited by Reaper

• 1 month later...

soooooo, what's going on with that?

priests can be good dps after lvl 100 in himes\skeles\kents

and maxing holy arrow can be done after 120 or even before doom and door if it will be worth it.

i think straight up damage buff is good option - it should do slightly more damage then SR in my opinion.

right now it has 80 damage (like magic claw total damage)
Shining ray has 105 damagex6

i think holy arrow should get 150% damage buff and make it 120 instead of 80 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Kradia said:

Would be very nice to get a response to this thread.
I think this concept is very interesting and could make priest gameplay a lot more fun, but also encourage party play.

Agreed, I think there’s a few good options here and would love to hear thoughts given it seemed there was interest in improvements. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2021 at 4:13 AM, Arnah said:

I'd say more like 4th job since the Element mage Summons modify the element damage modifiers.

This idea is cool and giving more options outside of just undead training would be nice. Interested in others approval or thoughts of this.

Would likely ignore undead and holy strong mobs.

Any further thoughts on this @Arnah?

• 6 months later...
On 12/25/2021 at 4:50 PM, RickSenchez said:

soooooo, what's going on with that?

priests can be good dps after lvl 100 in himes\skeles\kents

and maxing holy arrow can be done after 120 or even before doom and door if it will be worth it.

i think straight up damage buff is good option - it should do slightly more damage then SR in my opinion.

right now it has 80 damage (like magic claw total damage)
Shining ray has 105 damagex6

i think holy arrow should get 150% damage buff and make it 120 instead of 80 

I would like to second this change, Fire Arrow's base damage is 120 and Holy Arrow's is 80. If you can't do complex changes, a base number buff would make it feel a lot better for priests to be able to use it for a marginally better single target than claw/sr and if you wanted to make a completely damage focused cleric, you could spec holy arrow over bless or something like that.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:01 PM, Rykbi said:

I would like to second this change, Fire Arrow's base damage is 120 and Holy Arrow's is 80. If you can't do complex changes, a base number buff would make it feel a lot better for priests to be able to use it for a marginally better single target than claw/sr and if you wanted to make a completely damage focused cleric, you could spec holy arrow over bless or something like that.

I’m going to go ahead and be the third to agree. This would be huge in improving overall 1vs1 dmg output though it still wouldn’t put Priests in a situation where they’re out damaging other mages. 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:00 AM, twerp said:

I’m going to go ahead and be the third to agree. This would be huge in improving overall 1vs1 dmg output though it still wouldn’t put Priests in a situation where they’re out damaging other mages. 

I feel like with 120 base dmg on Holy Arrow priest is still probably the weakest single target class, I don’t think this will create any big shifts in power dynamic since the damage won’t matter enough for anyone to spec this in 2nd job over the other amazing party buffs and dmg reduction most likely anyway. It’s really just a QOL change for priests.

1 hour ago, potsplease said:

Would making it a rank 20 skill help at all? Or the issue is damage, not SP. I think all mages, not just clerics, deserve a boost to their damage... WKs included. 

The issue is the skill's power level, since this is a 3rd job server no one even specs Holy Arrow til after 3rd job skills generally. The power level is so low it's not better to use holy arrow over SR/magic claw/heal in ANY situation except for where you need to maintain a distance. Currently holy arrow is only useful at anego (female boss) but you still do laughable damage. Just chip damage with a DPS class doing the main damage for her.

• Like 1