Phoenix

Meso earning early on is a little harsh for potion costs

D4wdl

Problem:

The cost of mana potions really eats your wallet quickly early on, making it hard to afford enough potions or equipment upgrades.

You have to be default attacking a lot if you don't want to go bankrupt.

Solutions:

A simple solution would be to make arrows for crossbow & for bows to have a vendoring value of 1 meso each. This would also feel less crappy than looting 0 meso items and more inviting for newcomers on fresh accounts or ironman chars as well.

Lowering the costs of consumes across the board would also not be a bad idea but a lot of work, so I suggest nerfing the blue mana potions costs from 200 to 100 mesos.

Edited by D4wdl
back to 1 meso sold price initially thought of

Doesn't doubling the price of bowman ammunition simply push the budget problem over to their arguably more at risk early-game? Everyone's a little poor early on and needs to be conservative with their MP rather than replace their attack hotkey with a skill the moment they start out, but that probably isn't a bad thing.

Even assuming you meant to say from 200 to 100 with the cost of Blue Potions, this is still probably not a great idea. MP restoration has a consistent price floor of 2 mesos per point, and while arguments could be made that carrying around small value MP recovery items in large quantities would be taxing on a player's Use Item tab, there's almost no way this wouldn't still end up being like what happened with Sorcerer Elixirs in some fashion, where a particular source of that recovery is objectively better value than every other one in the game and, no surprise, everyone who realizes this starts using them. If anything need be done about a player's early money supply vs their potion stores, it should probably be in the form of those "Beginner" potions being given out in slightly higher amounts. But I don't know if that's even necessary, really.

7 hours ago, G M E R C said:

Doesn't doubling the price of bowman ammunition simply push the budget problem over to their arguably more at risk early-game?

No I meant that if you're not using it, you can vendor it to NPC for some additional meso boost to afford equips and mana potions with the currency obtained. And regardless bowmen use soul arrow after they get the skill, so these arrows become truely useless in all cases.

7 hours ago, G M E R C said:

this is still probably not a great idea

I think it's good, you can even maybe cap it for under 2nd job for that half price, it's only at the beginning that it's hard, later on you get bigger drops that makes it nicer to afford the mana potions with.

Edited by D4wdl

Bowmen use Soul Arrow after they get the skill... probably starting somewhere in the 40s at the earliest. What you're describing doesn't change that your arrow suggestion is a severe (debilitating even at lower levels) maintenance cost increase to bowmen prior to that point in a suggestion that is meant to address perceived early-game money issues. It "fixes" a "problem" for 4 of the game's classes and ravages the remaining one just for existing.

2 hours ago, D4wdl said:

I think it's good, you can even maybe cap it for under 2nd job for that half price, it's only at the beginning that it's hard, later on you get bigger drops that makes it nicer to afford the mana potions with.

This doesn't change or mitigate any of the problems this creates because you can just buy these needlessly-discounted potions using a mule. People starting out just need to actually use basic attacks sometimes, they're in the game for a reason. If you can't afford to spam your skills early on that isn't a sign that the game needs to accommodate wasteful play, it's a sign that the player needs to spam less until they hit the boiling point where their monster drops and other money sources let them afford it.

Reverted it to the initial 1 meso sell price to vendor, forgot that arrows where 1 mesos already to purchase.

Maybe some daily or weekly beginner potions in good amounts untradeable or buy those for a discounted fee untradeable

I know you have to dose your attacking, but if 3/4th of your attacking is default, the game just feels bad, the only thing gating you is the mana potions cost at that point.

Edited by D4wdl

• 2 weeks later...

i believe increasing the potion drop rate for lower level mobs (say up to level 35) IN ADDITION TO potions dropping in more than just stacks of 1 would help a lot.

Potion drops varying from 1 to 5 would do wonders for players of all level ranges, not just noobs.

Edited by manfroy
  • Like 1