Phoenix

Make mages do more impactful damage for bossing

Rykbi

Currently, there is a problem where high level mages just keep leveling and grind without a lot of opportunities to have a meaningful slot in boss parties.

Zakum, for example, all the important damage is from hermits, DKs, and CBs. The priests have their place for keeping everyone healed and dispelled, but the I/L and F/P really has no reason to attend these bosses since they do so little damage to the boss itself.

Whenever Zak puts up the physical guard, all damage slams to a halt. I am open to ideas as to how to improve this dynamic, but it would be really cool if when you see bossing disable the phsyical attackers, you would still see some decent damage numbers popping off from the magic users in the party.

My first thought would be maybe to lower the magic resist on some of the bosses that make it impossible to boss as a magic user. This could include other bosses/mini bosses that are currently unattainable as well.

This might be the thing that could keep someone interested in the server if they get bored of just leveling constantly without a greater purpose in bossing.

Please reply with your suggestions if you have any to improve this issue.

I don't think this is necessary, because I'm of the belief that I/L and F/P mages deal quite a lot of DPS. They do not need to be the best, because they have other traits they are the best at. The issue is that there aren't many of them around, and those that are around don't attend the runs due to potion costs that aren't covered by the running squad.

But because I like the idea of promoting I/L and F/P gameplay, I'll entertain this idea. 

Your suggestion to reduce magic defense is good. Additionally, while weapon block is up blocking users of dealing physical damage, weapon block could also temporarily weaken Zakum to elemental damage, meaning all elemental damage would deal bonus damage during weapon block.

Of course this shouldn't only be made to work this way on Zakum, but the interaction should stay consistent on every single mob that can do weapon block.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kradia said:

They do not need to be the best, because they have other traits they are the best at.

I did say this.

To this day, I still stand by that opinion. F/P has unnatural pace of progression depending on the content that is available and I think that is poor game design. That became very apparent when Leafre was released. That will become very apparent when Temple of Time is released.

Instead of having F/P mages rely on multiple instances of a map to level, I believe they should be changed to be integrated into regular party play and function like any other standard class does (Poison Mist should expire if the caster leaves the map/channel). 🙂

18 hours ago, Kradia said:

I don't think this is necessary, because I'm of the belief that I/L and F/P mages deal quite a lot of DPS. They do not need to be the best, because they have other traits they are the best at. The issue is that there aren't many of them around, and those that are around don't attend the runs due to potion costs that aren't covered by the running squad.

But because I like the idea of promoting I/L and F/P gameplay, I'll entertain this idea. 

Your suggestion to reduce magic defense is good. Additionally, while weapon block is up blocking users of dealing physical damage, weapon block could also temporarily weaken Zakum to elemental damage, meaning all elemental damage would deal bonus damage during weapon block.

Of course this shouldn't only be made to work this way on Zakum, but the interaction should stay consistent on every single mob that can do weapon block.

Kradia,

I agree mages have different strengths from other classes, and I would also like to see mages more. There are so few active mages and I never train where they do. I know sometimes at Pianus when it does the physical immune it makes you grind to a halt, but to your point there aren’t a lot of mages. Sometimes I just want Rick to be able to smack the shit outta some bosses y’know.

most of the changes in this server has mostly been a nerf towards mages.

gloves 9x +10x buff is great for attack classes. it is so ever pointless for mages. for the longest of times mages had earrings to counterbalance attacker classes and their weapon attack. then earring scrolls came out, what did mages get ? hp scrolls...

1 hour ago, erectus said:

every time you mention something about some other classes you always have in the back of your mind that hermits are the best and nothing should ever dislodge them from being on top. 

That's very strange to hear (terribly inaccurate) considering everything I stand for, and what I have been asking for in terms of class balance changes. You know nothing about me (we've barely ever interacted) yet somehow you have this definite idea of what I stand for and believe

1 hour ago, erectus said:

you still don't see that most of the changes in this server has mostly been a nerf towards mages.

There hasn't been a single mage nerf on this server yet. Just because certain items are still unavailable in the game, doesn't mean they have been nerfed. Nor am I against the unavailable items being added to the game? 

I don't hate F/P mages I just want to see them changed to better fit the rest of the classes and I should be allowed to voice my opinion.

It seems to me that mage damage is less of an issue compared to their higher potion costs.  (Magic guard uses MP, which costs twice as much as HP).  Why would you want to bring a mage to a boss when you possibly spend 10 times the amount of mesos a hermit would with their alchemist and high avoid?

mages spend infinitely more meso bossing than when they grind. even with proper compensation its not something that is sustainable given enough mages and our elixir supply.
mages single target damage is definitely lacking(especially when not on element weak damage), but not a whole lot that can be done without editting skill values imo. the block effect would definitely help, but what about bosses that dont do that?

7 hours ago, Kradia said:

Instead of having F/P mages rely on multiple instances of a map to level, I believe they should be changed to be integrated into regular party play and function like any other standard class does (Poison Mist should expire if the caster leaves the map/channel). 🙂

just buff the FIRE skills of a FIRE/poison mage. DoT hardly works in party play and usually griefs other people's rates. that being said nerfing the poison would effectively kill the class as is, and part of the charm of f/p is being able to use that DoT(and fard)and not just hold down ice strike(and occasional single target skill) like i/l mages

there is also a considerably higher number of hermits as opposed to any other class at high levels, should convince people that mages are totally worth playing

Edited by manfroy