Phoenix

Restrictions

Arnah

Phoenix is looking to introduce a custom feature that'll allow you to restrict what you have access to. Despite Phoenix being a low version 1x server people are still looking to expand on the challenge which is what Restrictions will hopefully introduce. When you first login to your new character you'll be given the option to enable specific restrictions based on what you might enjoy. Note, you will not be able to add new restrictions later on.

spacer.png

The above picture shows what we currently offer in our testing of the feature. You can click on any of the options listed and be shown a description with an option to toggle the restriction. Some of these you might have heard before, others may be new.

Ironman, obviously inspired by the RuneScape mode, it restricts your ability to interact with other players by blocking things like trading, player shops, storage, partying, etc.
0.5x Exp is pretty self explanatory. You'll be given a permanent 0.5x exp debuff that STACKS with the Curse debuff(also 0.5x)
Four Slots is also pretty self explanatory, it reduces all your inventories to only 4 slots. Good luck thieves!
Hardcore(Added after the above picture). One life, if you die your character is deleted(But will be shown on the rankings)
Area Restricted adds a couple more options(Any restrictions ending with "Access") which allow you to specify what areas of the Maple World you would like to be able to access. By default you can trade with others which kind of defeats the purpose for certain people so you might be interested in combining this with Ironman.

Area Restricted wont be perfect as we will still be using the maps in whatever version Phoenix is emulating but it's better than nothing! If you don't select any other maps after enabling Area Restriction you'll only have access to the tutorial. If you select Orbis but not Victoria you'll not be able to actually access Orbis, so please keep this in mind.

Obviously, gaining achievements with Restrictions doesn't have the same meaning and you need a way to show off your level 70 on 0.5x which is why we will allow limiting your rankings search by each Restriction!

As this is a feedback thread, we are looking for feedback on this feature and we'll be looking to release this feature to you soon assuming everything goes well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Region lock sounds kinda not cool in the current iteration. Would be cooler if you could either start somewhere at a minimum level with a given job to hit some of the enemies and work up from there, or maybe disable access to Victoria after it is no longer deemed necessary for job adv. purposes. E.g., start a Nath locked bowman that comes equipped with a shitty bow and high enough level to hit, say, Letty at a 1-2% rate. Of course, make it so these characters can't use fame or storage to prevent abuse of such a feature. Maybe just force region lock to be tied to Ironman (btw).

It'd be nice if this sort of stuff wasn't added in-game and these settings were things you can enable/disable through the website by logging in. I personally prefer the idea of the game being presented as vanilla as possible. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, Bellocringe said:

Region lock sounds kinda not cool in the current iteration. Would be cooler if you could either start somewhere at a minimum level with a given job to hit some of the enemies and work up from there, or maybe disable access to Victoria after it is no longer deemed necessary for job adv. purposes. E.g., start a Nath locked bowman that comes equipped with a shitty bow and high enough level to hit, say, Letty at a 1-2% rate. Of course, make it so these characters can't use fame or storage to prevent abuse of such a feature. Maybe just force region lock to be tied to Ironman (btw).

Possible and I heard another server has an unofficial "cave mode" but not something that'll be introduced in the initial launch of restrictions.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Kradia said:

It'd be nice if this sort of stuff wasn't added in-game and these settings were things you can enable/disable through the website by logging in. I personally prefer the idea of the game being presented as vanilla as possible. 

It'll be a simple chat option you can click on an NPC in the tutorial. Nothing huge and also not hidden away requiring you to be told it even exists. I personally don't mind slight changes as we already have multiple.

8 hours ago, Arovane said:

Adding this would make me and others I know start playing on Phoenix 🙂

This is the initial reason I started working on this. It may not be as perfect as someone making an entirely new server with the progressive content release again but it seemed worthwhile either way. Especially with the addition we've proven to be around for awhile.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:10 PM, Arnah said:

It'll be a simple chat option you can click on an NPC in the tutorial. Nothing huge and also not hidden away requiring you to be told it even exists. I personally don't mind slight changes as we already have multiple.

I agree that changes are fine, as long as they trend downward from vanilla, so for instance NLC comes out and boomers don't multiply or the % potions are not present, or gachapon comes out but the only possible prize is a photograph of the Nexon staff taking a dump on Maplestory's integrity and giving you the middle finger. Challenge modes fit quite well I think.

Good to hear about the possible expansion of options later on, it might be fun to start something silly like a character fixed in aqua road.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard vaguely of the Ironman challenge, so pardon me if some of this is blatantly against the idea.

Is storage lock necessary?  I would think storage be allowed, however it'd basically have to be a Ironman account with only 1 character on it.  I don't know if you could, theoretically, make a default character and fill the storage, delete that character then unfairly start an Ironman character and pull items from the first character out of storage.  It's basically a nitpick, if you do Ironman and don't do the 4 slot limitation the cash shop slot expansion offers plenty of inventory space.  Or is storage limitation part of the challenge, and buying slot expansions would be blocked too?

How would group bosses work?  Does Zakum have a time limit? Or would a Ironman character be able to go into Zakum with other people without being in any parties?  The circumstance is ages away, but I'd have a small concern that certain content would be unavailable to an Ironman character (excluding party quests obviously) simply due to game limitations.  No solo class can legitimately beat Zakum within the 2-4 hour time limit that used to exist.

Also curious about general implementation.  Is there a way to prevent a Ironman character from picking up an item that someone else drops?  Could a Ironman drop valuables they don't need in exchange for fame or even charity?  If dropping items is for some reason entirely blocked, think ahead for Chief Bandits and their meso explosion. 

Fame is mostly for bragging rights, but it does involve interaction with other players.  What's the plan with that?  Some equipment does have fame requirements.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, Neon said:

I've heard vaguely of the Ironman challenge, so pardon me if some of this is blatantly against the idea.

Is storage lock necessary?  I would think storage be allowed, however it'd basically have to be a Ironman account with only 1 character on it.  I don't know if you could, theoretically, make a default character and fill the storage, delete that character then unfairly start an Ironman character and pull items from the first character out of storage.  It's basically a nitpick, if you do Ironman and don't do the 4 slot limitation the cash shop slot expansion offers plenty of inventory space.  Or is storage limitation part of the challenge, and buying slot expansions would be blocked too?

How would group bosses work?  Does Zakum have a time limit? Or would a Ironman character be able to go into Zakum with other people without being in any parties?  The circumstance is ages away, but I'd have a small concern that certain content would be unavailable to an Ironman character (excluding party quests obviously) simply due to game limitations.  No solo class can legitimately beat Zakum within the 2-4 hour time limit that used to exist.

Also curious about general implementation.  Is there a way to prevent a Ironman character from picking up an item that someone else drops?  Could a Ironman drop valuables they don't need in exchange for fame or even charity?  If dropping items is for some reason entirely blocked, think ahead for Chief Bandits and their meso explosion. 

Fame is mostly for bragging rights, but it does involve interaction with other players.  What's the plan with that?  Some equipment does have fame requirements.

Ironman is pretty restrictive. It seems people are interested in a 'reboot ironman' where less is locked which can be added too in the future.

Storage is blocked for ironman. We could make it so you can add items but not remove but that might result in people accidentally losing items since they didn't know.

Currently nothing blocks buying slot expansions except if you have the "4 slot" restriction. How it's handled with ironman might be changed before release though.

CashShop is pretty much one of the last things that needs to be decided on. Currently we block moving items you can buy with meso(sp resets, ap resets, etc) from being moved to your inventory but that still leaves the ability for MaplePoints to be saved. I would like to avoid creating special shops for ironman to buy more items with meso but that might be required(Or just give some starter stuff? idk).

Ironman can join a zakum fight but they wouldn't be able to loot any of the drops. They also wouldn't be allowed in any of the parties making them miss useful buffs.

Ironman can drop items that non-ironman players can loot, but they can't loot other peoples drops.

Nothing related to Fame is planned to be changed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...