Phoenix

I can't log on with the recent update

CattleRage

Question

I've posted on Discord but to let anyone reading this know

• I updated with the patcher and I was able to log on once since doing so.  It was an early patch as far as I remember.
  • My anti-virus(avast) has removed the client (MapleStory.exe) multiple times, claiming that the client was infected with Win32:Evo-Gen.
  • I've tried the DEP Method https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/589967349663399936/848166712599248896/steps_for_missing_files.pdf as given by opman on Discord
  • I've tried using Maplestorycheck as provided by Arnah on Discord and I kept getting a message "The ordinal 1407 could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll."
  • I've made several exceptions with my antivirus before and after unzipping the recent client with the client still being removed by my antivirus
  • I've uninstalled my antivirus and added Exceptions to Windows Defenders, thanks to Conads for that.
  • Recently, I've tried opening Phoenix.exe but it just does nothing

Is there a known fix for this or can I just not log on to Phoenix on my current PC/with this current patch?

5 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, CattleRage said:

Recently, I've tried opening Phoenix.exe but it just does nothing

Hopefully you didn't rename the client to "Phoenix.exe", it needs to be named "MapleStory.exe"

You could try:
- Excluding the Phoenix.dll and ijl15.dll as well see if that makes any difference
- Deleting Avast, enabling Windows Defender and excluding the files there

Somebody formatted their pc and did a clean install of Windows without installing any AV. That did the trick, but that's kind of up to you if that's worth it

6 hours ago, Arnah said:

Providing your windows version can also be helpful. Most assume 10 so if its not that, it is an important detail.

It's Windows 7

6 hours ago, Kradia said:

Hopefully you didn't rename the client to "Phoenix.exe", it needs to be named "MapleStory.exe"

You could try:
- Excluding the Phoenix.dll and ijl15.dll as well see if that makes any difference
- Deleting Avast, enabling Windows Defender and excluding the files there

Somebody formatted their pc and did a clean install of Windows without installing any AV. That did the trick, but that's kind of up to you if that's worth it

I didn't rename it Phoenix.exe, it's still Maplestory.exe.  An oversight on my part.  I'm going to try the above.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, CattleRage said:

It's Windows 7

Not a direct fix for this but I'd highly suggest updating to Windows 10 unless you're worried your computer can't run it smoothly.

With the DEP method tried, I'd suggest also trying to install KB3063858 from https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/ik7sp7/does_anybody_have_the_kb2533623_update_for/g9ejnv3/